Banbury Community Action Group

BCAG July 2022 Meeting Minutes

Chair:          Jim                       

Minutes:    Harriet

Present:      Jim S, Lynda S, Harriet J, Chris M, Lynne C, Dale H, Patrissia, Nik (for aob)


1. Agenda item I   Welcome, introductions and apologies                                                  Jim

A warm welcome to everyone.  Apologies received from Maria M, Tila R, Colin S 

2. Agenda item II   Matters arising from June meeting, 07/06                                          Jim

A reminder that it has been agreed it would be good to hold an event as part of the Climate Coalition’s Big Green Week, 24/9 – 2/10.  Jill suggests this could be themed round ‘insects’.

All other matters arising are covered under agenda items.

3.  Agenda item III   BCAG admin                                                                                               Jim

Total hours spent on BCAG business and projects for March were recorded – thanks to everyone for putting in time.

Harriet to ask any core members not at the monthly meeting, for their hours.

4.  Agenda item IV   Treasurer’s report                                                                                Lynda

The current balance stands at c£16K which includes the grant of £5K from CDC Wellbeing team, £270 from OxCAG towards insurance, and a kind donation from Biodiversity Bloxham of £25 in appreciation of support given to them by BCAG.  Of this, c13K is grant money for BCAG projects and c£3K available for other BCAG work.

5. Agenda item V   Social media, Newsletter, publicity                                                     Jim

STATS:  Mailchimp:  204 Newsletter subscribers; Facebook: BCAG 1029 followers, BSCG 527 followers. 

The July news was used to promote the upcoming events: so much going on!  Thanks, Maria.

Leaflet update: Maria is preparing a draft for a revised version to be circulated to core members.

Lynda will attend the Town Mayor’s event at People’s Park, 10/07.

6. Agenda item VI   Bridge Street Community Garden  BSCG                                Tila/Lynda

Jim gave a summary of Tila’s report.

Turning Point/Aspire, St Leonards School, Sunrise Multicultural Project all visited the Garden this month.

Tila and Sofia represented BSCG at the community fair held in Ruscote and organsied by Sunrise Multicultural.

A report has been sent to Michael Langmead from National Lottery Community Fund/IKEA about the ‘Places Called Home’ grant.

Tila and Mark have built a further x2 large hexagon beds using secondhand scaffold boards.

Tila started her Forest School Training: good luck!  Tila thanks Lynda for standing in while she was on the course, and for distributing seeds and information at the Garden on Sundays.

Tila and Lynda will be at the CDC Castle Quay pop-up event on 21/07, 12.30pm.

5kg (!!) of radishes were grown and harvested by Sunrise Multicultural.

Lynda has obtained a blue bin for Garden recycling: good news!  Ben Dyche at CDC has been very helpful and will ask the Banbury Litter Pickers to check the Garden area.  Ben can arrange for rubbish packed in clear polythene bags, to be collected after Garden events.

7.  Agenda item VII   Browning Road Orchard BRO                                                        Colin

Arrangements are in hand for the ‘wild’ Browning Road Orchard picnic, 17/07, 3 – 5pm.  Colin is taking the lead on arranging the event, Harriet will provide a nature-themed children’s activity.  Thanks to Julia at BTC for being accommodating over the timings for mowing the long grass in the Orchard.

Winnie and Vaughan have been tending the raised planters in the park: the beds look amazing and get much positive comment from passers-by.

8. Agenda item VIII   Banbury Active Transport Supporters group                             Chris

Concerns about the consultation process for the LCWIP continue.  There is, as yet, no information about when the final report will be available.

The BATS team are finding the CDC information on planning applications hard to navigate due to the vast quantity of data.  They are hoping to check relevant applications to ensure provision for walking/cycling is properly considered. 

9. Agenda item IX     Biodiversity                                                                                    Harriet

Harriet will arrange a wildlife-related activity for the picnic in the Orchard, 17/07.

Lynda and Gail attended the Great Bourton wildlife event, under the ‘Replenish’ banner, to raise awareness about composting.

Working with Chris Mason, Harriet is organizing a social and swift-watching evening event with the Cherwell Swifts Conservation Project and Wild Banbury volunteers.   Date: 14/07, 7.30-9pm, People’s Park community building.

10. Agenda item X     Climate Action COP26                                                                          Jill

BCAG has been invited to join an online meeting, 22/07, being held by OCC to help shape their new retrofit of buildings scheme which forms a part of the County’s net zero route plan.  Thanks to Dale for making sure BCAG has a chance to be represented, particularly since Banbury is a key focus area for the scheme which uses Central Government funds.

Dale will represent BCAG at the meeting; Patrissia will also attend if she can.

11. Agenda item XI     Summer Give & Take                                                                          Lynda

Arrangements for the Summer Give and Take at The Haven, 16/07 are in hand.  10am set up for 11am – 1pm event, out of hall by 2pm.  Lynda is leading on this with support from Harriet.  Great to have Orinoco joining us.

12. Agenda item XII     Food waste                                                                                  Lynne

Lynda attended an online Replenish meeting: there are concerns that fresh food is now in short supply through the food waste network, emphasizing the need for space for growing.

Lynne will take forward the initiative with HomeStart later in the year.

Chris offered to reply to PhD student Matt Gibson’s request for information for his research on food systems.


The meeting agreed that it was time to contact BTC again to ask for an update on the People’s Park former community garden area.  Harriet to contact Paul Almond.

Jim reported that the negotiations between CDC and the developers concerning the Longford Park Community Orchard are still ongoing.

CDC are working with the Good Food Network to identify empty spaces in the District potentially available for food growing.

It was agreed that the PAT testing machine be recalibrated, an annual requirement; cost: £79.

Patrissia expressed an interest in doing some work centered around rented accommodation.  The meeting welcomed the idea and agreed they were happy to support her in this, but explained she would need to look into the subject and bring ideas and a proposal to a BCAG monthly meeting.

It was agreed that the next meeting again be online

Our thoughts continue to be with all those caught up in the war in Ukraine.


Tuesday 2nd August, 7.30pm, Zoom.

Those present agreed that online meetings work well, there being plenty of opportunities now outside of the monthly meetings, to meet up at the Garden.  This decision will be reviewed on a month by month basis.